From President Wendy Thiessen, here’s what to expect in the coming months as Wal-Mart prepares for its grand opening.
- Wal-Mart will have its grand opening on January 15, 2014.
- TexDot is working on the Gulf Freeway feeder road and Maxwell now. This should be done soon. There will be two entrances off the feeder road plus the Maxwell entrance. The feeder road is being widened.
- There will be two entrances off Wayside. They are working on Wayside now but are still just at the point of dealing with the poles. Work should be done by the end of January. The hold-up was a mix-up between the city and TexDot according to the store manager. Wayside will be widened on the Wal-Mart side and a new sidewalk will be put in.
- There will be a median across Wayside so cars will not be able to turn into Wal-Mart. This should help keep traffic moving. But on the down side, people who need to get back to the freeway and exit on Wayside may come down to Sylvan trying to find a way back to the freeway. In an attempt to keep vehicles out of our neighborhood, signage is being created to let people know there is no outlet there. /li>
- On Monday there will be about 20 trucks throughout the day delivering lights and fixtures. Maxwell will still be under construction so while the trucks will be staggered throughout the day, there may be heavier truck traffic on Wayside Monday. Plan your commute accordingly.
- On December 9, the 400 new employees will begin setting up the store with merchandise. Delivery trucks will be delivering that merchandise via Maxwell lane from the feeder road.
- The green space buffer between Walmart and Idylwood will have a fence between the parking and the green space to keep people out of it but will be accessible to the store so they can maintain it. There will not be a fence backing up to Idylwood as this would have created an inaccessible corridor behind the houses that would not be maintained. Residents have fences behind their houses.
- More updates will be posted as they become available.